Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Homemade Apple Sauce




There is a really great vendor at our market - Bat Creek Farms that has tons of apples this time of year! Today - I asked if I could have any of the imperfect apples at a discount and he gave me half off - 3 lbs for $3. And the apples looks great - not a brown spot in the bunch!

I used this simple recipe at my first attempt - although I did revise a few things:
#1 - I added 4 stripes of lemon peel - after the boil - before I pureed it - remove the lemon peel and discard.

#2 - I added a splash of nutmeg and a decent amount of Cinnamon, It made for a very tasty and flavorful apple sauce.

#3 - I ran mine through a food processor rather than a masher. It came out great!

Hope you enjoy this simple recipe and make sure to make a double batch since this freezes so well!




HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE
4 med. apples
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar (brown or white)
A few shakes of cinnamon
Peel, core, and cut the apples into quarters. Put cut-up apples, sugar, cinnamon, and water into a 2-quart saucepan. Cover and cook at medium heat (simmering) for 15-20 minutes. Let apples cool, then mash them with a fork. 4 servings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment