Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Year at the Market 2011





Its been quite an experience to go through all the seasons with our farmers this year. Along with trying to grow my own vegetables - Ive never been as " in tune " with what is happening in nature around me. When I go in a grocery store and I see all the selection - what stands out to me of where in the country it must be warm enough to grow these veggies and fruits. I'm guessing a lot comes from South America.

I call this season of veggies - the "farty" veggie season. I know. I hate that word. I don't like fart jokes but it truly is the best adjective I can come up with. All the veggies are pretty much broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and cabbage. Lots of lots of cabbage. I can completely appreciate the nutritional value of all these plants but at the end of the day, I don't have much desire to eat them. That being said, our grocery grab was lacking much color one week in Jan. I think it was the only time I didn't come home with veggies and fruits. Only one week - that's not too bad.



DOGS IN SWEATERS ALL OVER THE MARKET!

With the new year, we've had some great new vendors start at the market in Jan!


A new tasty addition is Cake and Spoon. They have a huge variety for such a small table! We have indulged in their quiche - I am loving the butternut squash and sage! They also make date bars that taste like something my great grandma used to make. I'm hoping for lemon bars some day too. If you go to the market - you gotta stop by this booth!


Another wonderful find has been the Tamale Place. They have a mix of savory and sweet. We have had their caramel and nut empanadas for the sweet side. We have also gotten the Cactus Tamales each week and are loving their tomatillo sauce. Our regular chip guy has been missing the past two weeks so we have also bought cornchips from here. Yeay for Coconut Oil!


Another cool event happening at the market has been guest chefs doing demo's with food from all the vendors. Our favorite has been Chef Beau Been from Traveling Bistro in Austin. He did an awesome demo with his guest chef Adam from Israel. They made an amazing dish from Pork Cutlets from 6J, Butternut Squash Soup from Aunt Nita and some Bok Choy. We bought all the ingredients and made it at home that week. I saw lots of other shoppers doing the same thing. What a great boost to the vendors and a great cooking lesson!


0 comments:

Post a Comment