Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Friday, December 2, 2011

Kiss my Cheesy Grits!

Being from Kansas, there are some occasions when I come across food I'm not familiar with in Texas. Tamales are in this category as well as breakfast tacos. I came across this new item at our farmers market at Aunt Nita's booth. She is famous for her tacos but added a new breakfast treat - CHEESY GRITS!


I had only gotten the cheesy grits a few times over the past season but soon I found myself craving the taste & the texture! A few weeks ago, Addie who does lots of the cooking for Aunt Nita's, mentioned that you can slice up Cheesy Grits, fry them and top them with an egg for a flavor explosion, I of course had to get right on this!

Step 1 was to let the cheesy grits cool in this cute Chinesee take out box over night in the fridge. In the morning, it slid out like a firm tofu.


Step 2 - get your butter going in your pan. Enjoy the butter melting circles as they are relaxing.

Step 3 - is slice your grits - about a half inch. My block made 4 slices. Drop in the buttery pan to begin the frying process. Brown on each side - flipping half way through.
Step 4 - Once the grits are fried up - place on paper towel to blot excess oil. Using the same pan - get on medium heat and fry up some eggs! 


 After all is cooked up - make a stack of Fried Cheesy Grits with an Fried Egg on top. Also a touch of Cilantro is nice. Cilantro makes everything wonderful!



I suggest anyone who hasnt had grits to give them a try. A wonderful surprise and a great southern treat!
Enjoy!! I hope Aunt Nita has these at the market this week!!

1 comments:

Carla said...

Cheesy grits are one of my faves too, Mindy. Love to top them with tobasco and have browned them in the skillet...delish! Thanks for sharing info about our great market. Carla

Post a Comment