Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Friday, January 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Dog Treats

Sushi Weiner Dog


I love my dogs and I love making homemade treats for them. They are a sucker for a milkbone but these make a nice yield and last about 2 weeks. 

I got this dog biscuit recipe from my dear friend Nicole (aka: Nico) in Kansas City. She made me 2 large bags and gave me the recipe probably 10 year ago. I even made these as a wedding favor for our "dog friends" at our wedding reception. 


THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED
2 cups whole wheat flower
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 egg beaten 
5 tbsp oil 
1/4 cup water
2 jar baby food - any flavor (these are turkey sweet potato) 

Rollin the Dough

Preheat oven 350 degrees
In large bowl combine all ingredients and make a thick dough. I use my Kitchen-aid Mixer.
Knead on lightly floured baking mat until dough is smooth - approx 4 min. 
Sprinkle flour and roll out dough in 1/2 inch thickness
Use cookie cutters or a small drinking glass 
Bake on cookie sheet (I use foil) for approx 22 min. 
Let cool at least 30 min before feeding to pups

Goats!
 We used our goat cookie cutter as an ode to our local farmers we love so much ... and goats are cute. 

Owls
 We also make little owl treats as well. Owls rule and are everywhere at our house. They are also smaller than the goats so you can make a varied sizes. Just watch how long you bake them - obviously the smaller ones take less time - 15 min. Try not to let them burn - you can see the far right bottom owl is a little crispy. :) 
Also I usually double the recipe just because it does make quite a mess once you've got rollers and mixers out. I also sometimes add food coloring - if I make Valentines dog treats this year, they will be pink for sure!  Id love to hear if you try this for your dogs!

Supermodel
Saki snarfs these things down like steak but she doesn't want you to know that - hence her, refusal to be photographed with her favorite treat. She has a red carpet reputation to uphold. 


Hound


Sushi on the other hand, loves her treats and doesn't care who knows! Snarf! Snarf!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment