Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Making Dill Pickles from FM cucumbers






Hi All! Ive been very excited to try pickling this season - yet another thing I hadn't tried before. My biggest concern was sealing the lids so I decided for my first try, I would do refrigerator pickles. They brine in your fridge for 2 weeks rather than the shelf and they still last 6 months.
We still have about 9 more days till we can try ours but expecting good things. Here is the recipe I used :

REFRIGERATOR DILL PICKLES
enough fresh cucumbers to fill 2 1 gallon containers.
3 quarts water
1 pint vinegar
1/2 cup canning or kosher salt
1 cup sugar
Wash and scrub cucumbers, cut lengthwise into spears. Put cucumbers in a large crockery or non-metallic container.

Boil and pour remaining ingredients over pickles.

Add 1 sliced onion and fresh dill.

Cover and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.

Place into smaller containers. Refrigerate.

These will keep in refrigerator from Summer until Christmas (if they last that long).

Makes approximately 2 gallons.



I only used about 10 cucumbers to start with but made the above brine at the same amount. I also added 4 cloves of garlic and 4 tbsp of pickling spice.


I hope you will try this simple recipe with your Farmers Market of garden cucumbers. I am very jealous of those that have gardens FULL of cucumbers - I will try to grow them next season for sure! Enjoy the pics and please leave comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment