Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Do the Can Can!








Its been a canning/freezing bonanza round these parts of Texas lately. Our freezer is filling up fast due to freezing cans of veggies that are disappearing fast from our market. With peaches & tomatoes - I blanch them for 3 minutes and then dunk into ice water -the peels come off like a breeze. I fill each can with at least and inch headroom and stick in the freezer.

The green peppers, I blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes but do not peel them. Just cut into a medium dice and fill cans with an inch for head space.

My corn and squash, I didn't blanch - just cut the corn from the cob and just sliced up the yellow squash - canned with 1/2 inch headroom.

Once I have a cool dark space, I will be moving onto a water cannery but for now while my garage is 100 degrees, freezing is the way to go! There are rumors of us even getting a deep freeze cooler too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment