Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Thursday, November 11, 2010

8 lbs of Applesauce

I have been on a quest for local apples for weeks. When Bat Creek stopped coming to the market - I tried to call them as well as many other orchards and they all said that I had missed the season. This totally sucked as I had planned on making this super tasty applesauce that has hints of lemon, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Well, fast forward to last Sat when Mike and I decided to check out the South Austin Farmers market at Barton Creek and low and behold - APPLES! I of course swapped up 8 lbs and ran them back to the car.



Although I was super excited to get these apples finally, I had lots to do this week and kept letting the canning action pass to the side. Then all of a sudden, my kitchen started smelling of apples and honey. This puppies were getting ripe and it was now or never.
Had a fun evening of peeling all these apples and getting stickiness all over the place!


At the end, I was able to can 11 jars with the water canner. How fun is it to listen from the other room while you tops pop! Its the best. Cant wait to share these wares with my family over the holidays!

0 comments:

Post a Comment