Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Our trip to Barton Creek Farmers Market

If you've been following this blog - you most likely already know that we have dumped the grocery store for the Farmers Market on about 80% of our home food. Its been about 9 months now and even though there are new things at the market each week - I was feeling a lil uninspired by what I knew what would be waiting for me. Had a great idea of driving down south and checking out the Barton Creek Farmers Market for a change. We made great time there and got there by about 9:30 am - only about 15 minutes from home.












The size of the market was similar to what we are used to and we did see many familiar farms that sell at both - Round Rock Honey, Our Mushroom Farm, Kettle Corn, etc. I did immediately get produce vendor envy. I would say about 40% of the whole market was a wide variety of veggies and fruits. The first item that I got super excited about was Medina Apples!! Ive been wanting to make applesauce forever and I got 8 lbs from them! There were also beautiful Persimmons everywhere. I counted 4 vendors that had onions - something our markets hasn't had for months! Also I found Kale at 3 vendors and haven't been able to find that either. There was a Spice booth that had an amazing array of locally harvested spices. We got Cumin and Peppercorns. There also was this amazing bread artisan there - he had an array of fresh baked bread - the kind that goes bad by midnight - not that it would last that long. I wish I got a photo - will defiantly next time. I also really enjoyed the garden nursery that was there - I don't want to take on any new plants as it starts to get cold but I would be totally into buying there once spring comes around!
We enjoyed our time here for some new discoveries but we were missing a few key things. First off - our goats milk - they had no goat milk vendor there. No 6J Ranch were we prefer to get our meat and eggs from. And no prepared foods like Aunt Nita. We couldn't go the whole week without these staples in our life so we swung by our Lakeline Market on the way home and got all our needs met! It was super fun to go to both and although most of my money and support goes to Lakeline, I cant wait to continue checking out other markets. We are so lucky in Austin to have so many at our fingertips!
This week on the plate: Apples!!! 8 lbs of em, Kale, Goats Milk, Homemade Chips, Spini...ch Dip, Kolhrobi, Garlic Bread, Red Onions, Green Onions, Cilantro, Cucumbers for more picklin, Cardimum Seeds and BlackPepperCorns, Homemade Marinara, Home Strawberry Jam, Tomatoes, Shitake Mushrooms, A mix of Hot Peppers, Ground Pork, Beef Stew Meat and Smoked Chipotle Pasta!

0 comments:

Post a Comment