Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Friday, April 22, 2011

Food Dehydrator - how I love thee


I freakin love my food dehydrator and I must suggest to all that reads this that they should not wait a moment longer and go out and buy one for yourself! Well, maybe not everyone - my parents are not too impressed with the dried foods I have shipped them so far - last I heard was my deer jerky was still upopened and in the fridge no less. :)

Last week I was lucky enough to get some homegrown parsley and chives from my co worker, Trish, who actually was the first person to tell me about the CPFM Farmers Market. We used some for our weekly crab cakes but I really wanted to dry the rest. I ended up also throwing in a whole celery bunch chopped as well as onions and green garlic.

It becomes very apparent of why celery is known for negative calories - these things are ALL water! It took 18 hours to dry them!

In the other tray the had the herbs, onion and green garlic - I dried about 12 hours and then combined them into 1 jar.

I love how they taste together and have re-hydrated them with just a bit of warm water and used in many egg and chicken dishes. They add a splash of flavor with zero effort!

Loves it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment