Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gotta Start Somewhere!

Hello friends! The idea of starting this blog came about since my husband Mike and I have started to make some changes in our lifestyles. We read everyday about the preservatives, pesticides, and illness causing chemicals in our food, water and air and were beginning to feel overwhelmed by what we're ingesting everyday. We decided that it was time we started taking small steps in cleaning up the garbage running through our bodies and began making a concerted effort to start eating local, organic, and pure foods. This of course led us to start going to the farmers market, which is not only great for getting "real food" but its also very fulfilling to reconnect with our community. I love to take the time to talk to the farmers and their family's about their farms, there livestock and to trade vegetable growing tips! We have been going every week for 7 weeks now and have come to know who grows our veggies, who milks the goats, and who makes tasty snacks for our week. We have virtually stopped going to the grocery store any more except for the basics. I have been posting photos of our culinary adventures on Facebook and have many request of friend to know more. They want to know what we make with our spread of local foods every week and my hope is that this blog will help shine a light on how you can feed your family everyday with local pure foods without any added preservatives and chemicals. I will be posting recipes and photos to hopefully inspire you to drive to your local farmers market and start adding fresh foods into your daily life! I also wanted to point out for the record, we are not vegetarian, vegan or health nuts. And yes, you can find me any given Sat with a Route 44 Cherry lime-aid in hand. We are just two people trying to make small changes that will have big health benefits and we are hoping to show you how on this blog. I have a million more things to say but will save it for another day. You gotta start somewhere! Thanks so much for visiting my blog - any comments are really appreciated and I would love any idea's you have to share to help us reach our Chem Free Lifestyle! Thanks ya'll!

1 comments:

Not Just Another Jennifer said...

I think this is a great idea. I try to do a little bit better about buying "cleaner" foods now that we have kids. I buy the hormone-free milk and chicken (which my husband doesn't like because it's ridiculously expensive). Before we had our baby in Nov, I would take our toddler to the farmer's market a couple of times a month for fresh fruits and veggies. When the baby is bigger we'll go again, though I find it's not possible to do as much shopping there as I'd like since they are only open for 6 months out of the year. But we started out own garden this year, so hopefully between the two, we'll have better food than we would otherwise! Just like you guys, we're not fanatics either - but every little step helps. :)

Post a Comment