Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Monday, August 8, 2011

Blanching Tomatoes for Canning/Freezing

Between my home garden and not being able to resist buying tasty tomatoes at the market, I have had to preserve lots and lots of tomatoes. Thought I would show you a step by step of how I blanch and freeze tomatoes.

You will need boiling water, a bowl of ice water and tomatoes to get started.



Only use good ripe tomatoes - avoid those with dark spots, soft spots and anything that is under-ripe.
 

Drop the tomatoes - whole into the boiling water - let them roll in rolling boil for 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the fruit.



And here is my first video clip I have filmed and uploaded to my blog.
Come watch the hypnotizing tomatoes as the swirl in the warm liquid




After 5 min of boiling - using a slotted spoon - remove each tomato and dunk into ice water. The skin will swell and split and you can just pull the skin off in one pull. If it doesnt split naturally - use a knife and make one solid cut around. Its so easy!


 Once the skins are off, cut in half and put into jar. I then freeze the jars. Once your ready to make some spaghetti sauce, just set the jars on your counter and defrost. They will be as good as fresh!


 

ENJOY!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment