Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tomato plants summer 2011

This year has been by far my best tomato crops ever! I would like to give myself credit for finally figuring out its all about the soil but I think the true secret is that I bought my transplants from our local farms. I figure that they truly know which plants produce the most fruit and BOY did they!!

These are my CELEBRITY tomato plants - I got them from Johnson's Backyard Farms for about $2 each. They started out tiny but within 3-4 weeks , every stem was covered in baby tomatoes! These tend to grow to be medium sized.






These are my SUNSHINE YELLOW tomato plants. I got these from the Farmers Market as well - I cant remember their name but they are the second stall on the right - next to the coffee bean vendor.

These blew up so fast! I was pulling 20 off a day! The very best tomato plant Ive ever grown. 
We had some really great harvest days of both types of plants - take a look!






I also had a squirrel problem - the would only eat the bottoms of the ripe tomatoes. I fixed the problem by pulling the tomatoes as soon as they started to turn from green to red. Also I hung up a pie pan on a string and the flashing color and sound drives them away.
 Squirrel problems! 



Can the extras!



Our average daily harvest for a few great weeks! 


**Update - after weeks of all my plants just barley hanging on - all of a sudden - they are full of tomatoes again! I cant wait to take part in the late summer harvests!

0 comments:

Post a Comment