Tomato circle

Tomato circle

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Cucumber plants and crops summer 2011

This is my first try at growing cucumbers and its been great! Totally a fun veggie to grow because its fruits hide behind large leaves and then all of a sudden, you find a huge cucumber. How fun is that?

I have 6 plants - all transplants from Natural Gardener in Oak Hill. I planted them on the farthest side of the garden because I knew that they would need a net to grow up and be supported by. I made the grow net from two wood planks from Home Depot and a white nylon net from Callahans.

 Over all, I had really good success - In total - I probably got 10-13 large cucumbers so far this season. Its so hot right now that no fruit is producing but I may get a few at the end of the summer.

Please enjoy the many photos of my first harvest of my cucumber plants!


They were so cute when they first starting coming in. Baby Cucumbers with Pretty Yellow Flowers!




Soon the vine kept growing and growing  - so beautiful with its natural swirls.



They grew into nice sized cucumber pretty quick. I tried to be consistent on watering - apparently if you dont, the can come out very oddly shaped. 





This one was called FATTY.

  One of the first harvests - kinda odd shaped but made beautiful pickles!!


You can count 4 big ones in this photo - the weather was still in mid 90's. Once it hit the 100's - it was very hard for the plants to produce flowers or fruit.



The last larger sized harvest. I only got 2 more after these cucs.


Im curious if you tried to grow cucs this year and how it went. Cant wait till Sept to see if they start up again - In the mean time, Im trying to keep them alive! Thanks for looking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment